Inventor of Tesla
1 of 11
Top 10 facts about Elon Musk
How much is Elon Musk worth?
Forbes estimates that Elon Musk had a net worth $13.9 billion (£11.1 billion) as of March 2017.
The magazine’s latest list of billionaires ranks him as the 80th richest person in the world. He was also 34th on Forbes' list of America’s 400 wealthiest people.
GETTYTesla creates cars that are driven by electric motors
Where does his wealth com from?
Elon Musk came from a well-off background but his current astronomical wealth was entirely self-made.
In 1999 he made his first fortune when he co-founded X.com, which later merged with and rebranded with PayPal in 2001.
GETTYThe inventor grew up in the South African capital Pretoria
In 2002 Ebay bought out Paypal for .5 billion (£1.2 billion) with Mr Musk receiving 5 million (£132 million) from the deal.
In the same year the entrepreneur founded SpaceX, a pioneering company in the field of rocketry and space travel.
Mr Musk has always dreamed of sending humans to Mars and he is working on plans to one day colonise the red planet.SpaceX aims to reach Mars and give people the chance to visit outer space
Since its creation, the company has made great progress in building reusable rockets which are capable of returning and landing on Earth.
In 2003 Tesla Motors was founded on the premise that one day all cars will have electric motors. The company was worth $33.5 billion as of May 2016, Forbes said.
The collective sum of his companies ranks Mr Musk as the 15th richest person in tech and the 21st most powerful man in the world, according to Forbes.His worth is estimated at .9 billion or £11.1 billion
Forbes’ latest list of the 10 richest people in the world:
1. Bill Gates - Microsoft founder - billion (£68 billion)
2. Warren Buffett - Owner of Berkshire Hathaway - $75.6 billion (£60 billion)
3. Jeff Bezos - Amazon founder - $72.8 billion (£58 billion)
4. Amancio Ortega - Zara founder - $71.3 billion (£57 billion)
5. Mark Zuckerberg - Facebook founder - $56 billion (£44 billion)
This is Forbes' Billionaires List for 2017
1 of 20
20. Sheldon Adelson, Chairman and CEO, Las Vegas Sands. Net worth: $30.4 B
6. Carlos Slim Helu - Telecoms tycoon - $54.5 billion (£43 billion)
7. Larry Ellison - Oracle founder - $52.2 billion (£41 billion)
8. Charles Koch - Various business - $48.3 billion (£38 billion)